Sunday, February 26, 2012

Exhaustion, and my birthday...

On a psychological note, I find the idea of exhaustion fascinating.  During my first triathlon, A SPRINT, mind you, I walked part of the run.  I felt "exhausted", and believed that walking would help.  It just made me feel worse, because I knew how short the distance really was. Given how difficult the swim had been, however, I felt justified.  During a recent attempt at an olympic-distance, I felt good afterward and wondered aloud whether I maybe had not gone hard enough.  I just felt exhausted during part of the run, and seriously considered walking, but didn't.  It turns out that exhaustion might just be a psychological phenomenon, in other words, it's all in my head.  Joe Friel talks about it in his blog, and here is an article interviewing a researcher about the topic:  Sports Science Update: Perception is Everything

On a personal note, my birthday is this weekend.  It has been lackluster, to say the least, because I went home sick yesterday from work and did not feel like doing anything, and then I felt like poo last night, waking up many, many times coughing.  However, this morning, I am feeling a bit better (yay!).  I made almond flour pancakes and have decided I need to order more finely ground flour, though they were pretty good.  I cancelled my swimming lesson and need to reschedule.  And I am planning to go for a short run today, to try and get back on the training wagon for this week.  The kids and hubby got me a Waterfi and waterproof ear buds, so I can swim with music and train with music during monsoons!  And my stepmom got me a cool vintage chainmail handbag.
cool vintage chainmail bag
LOVE IT!
Otherwise, it is going to be mellow, which is fine.  I'm just glad to be alive.  A man I went to high school with passed away this week from cancer.  It kind of puts things in perspective.  I am very, very grateful for all that I have and for all that I can do.  I am grateful that my loved ones are healthy and blessed with good fortune.  I am grateful that we have the means to allow me to train, though I realize I could probably find a way even if that weren't the case.  Can't wait to train this week!  Oceanside is only 5 weeks away...

No comments:

Post a Comment