Monday, May 28, 2012

Last Week in Review

I'm not sure whether I have been hit by allergies (my hunch) or a cold, but I have felt sooooo crappy this week.  I did manage to squeeze in a few runs and a bike, though.  Ran 8 hard miles in the middle of the day yesterday like a doofus.  When will I learn?!?!?  I suppose the advantage of doing a run later in the day is that it prepares me for triathlons, where I do end up running later in the day and in the heat.

Thinking about my grandfather, "Pater", today, and the PTSD he brought home with him from WWII, which was known as "shell shock" back then.  He and the family suffered for years as a result, not terribly, but it did come out in some ugly ways, which no one talked about back then.  Since I have been a psychologist, I have seen PTSD ruin lives, break up marriages, make work impossible, etc.  Sometimes it doesn't rear its ugly head for decades, but it has the same effect when delayed as when immediate.  I am grateful for the VA psychologists who work diligently to cure this insidious disease.  Thank you to all who have served, for the families who have supported them or lost as a result.  We are forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment