Thursday, February 9, 2012

Charley Horse!!!

I had a great swim yesterday...well almost.  I did make 2000 meters in 56:11, which is a PB.  However, with about 400 meters left, I got a charley horse in my calf.  I used to get them regularly, while sleeping, when I was pregnant with my daughter, but haven't had one in a while...I had forgotten how painful they are!  And, of course, I was in the deep end.  The ironic thing is, I had eaten a banana early that morning, which is not typical for me.  I'm actually kind of glad that it happened, because I got through it just fine, and if it happens in open water, I will be prepared.

Training has been going fairly well since my crash.  I got Maybelle back, all fixed up and pretty, and rode her on the trainer for 2.5 hours last Friday night (what an exciting life I lead!).  I had some saddle issues that prevented me from riding any longer, but, I was able to stay in aero position the entire ride, which was a huge relief.  I am going to lower my seat a little tomorrow and see if I can last longer this weekend (weather is supposed to be yucky).  I really, really should get my bike fitted by Amber at the local shop.  I did not get to do my long run last weekend, because I am a slacker sometimes and did not get up early enough, so it's lucky I got a 6-mile tempo run in earlier in the week.  I have decided that running on cement sidewalks sucks. I have started using Run Tracker on my phone, and I find it's motivating to hear my pace every 5 minutes so that I can make adjustments.  I'm at a steady pace of 12:30 minute miles for my long run, as opposed to 16:38 last year at this time.  I'd still like to get to 10, but I think that could take a while.  

As far as nutrition goes, I am reading Wheat Belly and seriously considering going grain-free for a while, but definitely cutting out as much wheat as possible.  I am slowly adding back in some higher-starch carbs like sweet potatoes and yogurt, but in small quantities for now.  And, like everyone else, I have started eating a serving or two of chia seeds every day...need those Omega-3s.  I'm feeling great when I stick to the plan.  When I eat pizza or sugar, not so much.  

I am trying to decide how to structure races this summer.  I will likely do the Mountain Man Sprint and Olympic (though I may do the half), and other than that, I'm not sure.  Maybe a marathon?  Maybe Missoula?  I could probably be ready, but I am scared...

No comments:

Post a Comment