Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sucky Sunday

While 7 miles into a planned 40-mile ride out Lake Mary Road on Sunday, when it seemed all stars had aligned and we had actually found a sitter, my rear derailleur snapped in half.  Of course, my bike seized up, and I could not get my shoes out of the clips, and I went down, hard, on my left side.  I landed in the road, even though the bike lane is huge, and I panicked and then calmed as I realized no cars were flying at me doing 55 mph.  Phew.  I scooted out of the road and assessed the damage.  Maybelle was unrideable.  So, Will rode the 7 miles back to the car.  Several bikers asked if I needed anything (very kind community), and I waited for either Will or a serial killer to come and pick me up.  It was cold, and I was a little damp, so it was a bit unpleasant.  Though, to be fair, I did have a tasty snack, plenty of water, and an iPhone.  The cost to repair Maybelle will be $125-150.

Here are the things I contemplated while out there.  1) I did not REALLY want to go on that ride, but I REALLY needed to.  And I struggled as a result of 3 days of running in a row, with a 9-miler on Saturday...my muscles were tired...DOMF?  So I huffed and puffed and rode with all I had, which wasn't much.  But I'm pretty sure I was just warming up.  2) I had contemplated doing a solo ride in Sedona, instead, especially if we had had trouble finding a sitter.  This would have been a disastrous decision on so many levels, as it was difficult to even walk my bike.  Grateful that did not happen. 3) I am not invincible.  My bike, although new-ish, could encounter difficulties on any course.  I need to learn more about bike maintenance.  Of course, it would not have helped one lick with this situation, but you get the point.  4) I am not yet a strong rider, and I need many more miles in the saddle.  5) What was a dead cow doing out on the road, anyway?

Maybelle will be ready on Wednesday, and I am planning to try again, if the weather holds.  And although I think any time outside doing something active is probably better than a typical office day, I hope this Sunday won't suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment